In Partnership with
For early stage human and animal health therapeutic companies looking to reach their next milestones.
Get personalized expert input from a global pharmaceutical company to help develop your novel scientific invention or technology.
Located in the heart of Edmonton’s innovation district, the Merck Invention Accelerator was designed to help maximize the success of emerging health technologies.
What you get
- Scientific and business input from Merck experts and mentorship from the TEC Health Accelerator program to help build, grow and scale your technology.
- If you are a successful applicant, you will receive mentorship from TEC Edmonton and from dedicated project champions at Merck. You will not give up equity or any commercial rights; however, we will expect you commit appropriate time and internal resources.
- Common office and research space at TEC Edmonton with direct access to all University of Alberta facilities.
- Each company accepted into the program will be eligible for funding to support the advancement of their technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Create collaborations between Merck and early-stage companies.
- Provide space, mentoring and financial support.
- Foster an innovation culture.
- Advance health-related technologies from Alberta, Canada, and beyond
- Access to TEC Edmonton and TEC Health Accelerator services, including business support, investor connections, competitive intelligence and local educational and networking events.
- Mentoring from Merck scientists and business development leads, as appropriate.
- Connections to Merck and/or business development contacts, as appropriate.
- Office and lab space located at TEC Edmonton.
- Access to University of Alberta core facilities and equipment.
- Other external service providers as appropriate.
Accepted participants will be in the program for 12-month renewable increments.
Funding support is based on units of $25K and may include one or more units per participant. Funding units can be used for business services, location costs, facility access, travel and more.
- All scientific entrepreneurs with a focus on human and animal health therapeutics are eligible, with no limitations on company size or structure. However, the program is best suited to small enterprises or early stage scientific researchers planning to bring their technology to patients or healthcare providers.
- There are no regional requirements for applicants, although preference is given to companies that will maintain a presence within the Edmonton-based incubator space.
- Preference is given to applicants that align with Merck’s current research and development goals (therapeutics, vaccines, companion diagnostics and digital health).
There are no regional requirements for applicants, although preference is given to companies that will maintain a presence within the Edmonton-based incubator space.
Applicants will be assessed in the following categories:
- Scientific excellence
- Technological impact
- Scientific merit
- Quality of the team
- Scientific experience
- Business expertise
- Growth potential
- Clinical need
- Overall potential
- Novelty of the technology/science
- Defined IP and regulatory pathways
- Financial state of the company
- Defined funding strategy
- Financial strength
We invite you to apply to become a Merck Invention Accelerator resident by submitting NON-CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION ONLY. The information you provide will only be used to contact you regarding your application to the Merck Invention Accelerator and to invite a strategic plan for consideration for acceptance into the program.
This program is made possible by funding from Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Alberta Merck Innovation (AMI) in Health Fund, a larger collaboration between Merck Canada, the University Hospital Foundation and the Government of Alberta Ministry of Economic Development and Trade.
For more than a century, Merck, a leading global biopharmaceutical company known as MSD outside of the United States and Canada, has been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Through our prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies and animal health products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions. We also demonstrate our commitment to increasing access to health care through far-reaching policies, programs and partnerships. Today, Merck continues to be at the forefront of research to advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and communities around the world – including cancer, cardio-metabolic diseases, emerging animal diseases, Alzheimer’s disease and infectious diseases including HIV and Ebola. For more information, visit www.merck.com and connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagra
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
Never miss a beat! Receive the latest TEC news and events, industry updates, job posting, and more right in your inbox.
Ready to get started?
We will assemble the right team to explore your business needs and connect you with the resources to help you move forward.