We are the dedicated commercialization arm of the University of Alberta. 

We help University of Alberta researchers protect their innovations to facilitate further development and commercialization. This can lead to the creation of new companies as well as partnerships with existing companies.

Contact TEC for more information

Technology Management Services

Intellectual Property

We collaborate with you and our network of professional patent law firms to determine the best strategy to protect your intellectual property.

Licensing & Commercialization

We work on your behalf to engage industry and pursue options for successful commercialization. We draft and negotiate the business agreements needed to establish commercial partnerships.

See our current licensing opportunities

Contract Negotiations

TEC Edmonton is the delegated signing authority for all Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreements (NDA / CDA), Material Transfer Agreements (MTA), Data Share and Data Transfer Agreements (DSA / DTA), and IP agreements (IIA).

Spin-off Company Creation

TEC Edmonton assists UAlberta spin-offs in their early stages by following a set of defined principles in structuring a spin-off company deal.

Programs and accelerators

TEC Edmonton has several of programs and industry-specific accelerators to propel your business to success.

*If you’re a UAlberta researcher, contact a Technology Management officer below before applying to a TEC Edmonton accelerator

Workshops, Lunch & Learns and other events

We have events covering topics for each stage of entrepreneurship.

Frequently Asked Questions

How does UAlberta define “invention” in the UAlberta patent policy?
UAlberta uses the term “Patentable Intellectual Property” (PIP) to refer to inventions. Patentable Intellectual Property includes patents and patentable ideas that can be legally protected by patent in Canada or elsewhere. To be potentially patentable, PIP should be new, useful and not obvious. For more detail, please refer to the Patent Policy.

Who does the UAlberta Patent Policy cover?
The Patent Policy covers all members of the UAlberta community including faculty, researchers, staff and students.

Who owns PIP that UAlberta personnel creates?
The persons or person (UAlberta personnel within their research areas) who creates PIP owns it, unless there is a specific written UAlberta or research agreement to the contrary. The patent policy also gives both the inventor and the UAlberta certain rights.

I invented something I want to commercialize. When do I disclose this to UAlberta?
If you decide you want to commercialize, patent, sell, or license some of your PIP, the Patent Policy stipulates you must disclose this invention to UAlberta.
It is best to do this as soon as possible. Early disclosure allows time to determine ownership and assess patentability. You should disclose as soon as the invention or work is clearly conceptualized and you have obtained supporting data. To obtain the strongest IP protection for your discovery, you must disclose before you publish or initiate any action to sell, license or assign your PIP to someone else.

How do I disclose my invention to UAlberta?
You complete a Report of Invention (ROI) form and submit it to TEC Edmonton. Inventors can indicate on this form his or her decision to either commercialize independently or assign the invention to UAlberta.

I am collaborating with a researcher from another institution. Where do we disclose?
You will disclose to both institutions. UAlberta inventors complete the UAlberta Report of Invention disclosure form and submit it to TEC Edmonton.

What if an industry partner created or funded my invention?
On the Report of Invention disclosure form, the inventor must indicate industry partner support or participation. TEC Edmonton will review the invention disclosure form in the context of relevant contractual or agreement obligations with other partners. Some funding programs require that intellectual property resulting from a funded project be assigned to the industry partner.

Do all inventions need a patent?
No, not all inventions require patent protection for commercialization. Some may not meet patent protection criteria. If TEC Edmonton accepts an invention into its commercialization portfolio, it works with the inventor to develop the most suitable protection strategy.

Should an inventor file a patent application before approaching potential partners?
Not necessarily, but it’s recommended to have a confidentiality agreement with the potential partner prior to sharing any invention details. TEC Edmonton handles all confidentiality agreements regarding research and commercialization for UAlberta. TEC will work with you to develop an appropriate IP protection strategy, provided IP has been assigned to UAlberta.

Can I still publish my work if I report an invention?
Yes, however any public disclosure, such as presentation or publication, may limit the inventor’s ability to properly protect future intellectual property. A Report of Invention form should be completed well in advance of any publication or presentation so TEC Edmonton has time to evaluate and protect your intellectual property.

I have already disclosed my invention publicly. Is it too late to protect it?
Not necessarily. Some countries offer grace periods that allow an inventor to patent an invention after he or she publishes. Please contact TEC Edmonton as soon as possible if you believe your invention has commercial value and you would like to pursue it.

Contract agreement review

Please provide the following information: collaborator and collaborating institution contact information and purpose of the agreement.


Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Never miss a beat! Receive the latest TEC news and events, industry updates, job posting, and more right in your inbox.

Ready to get started?
Connect with TEC.

By filling out our request form it will enable us to assemble the right team to explore your business needs and connect you with the resources to help you move forward.

Connect with TEC