For health sciences entrepreneurs with a novel breakthrough innovation.
For early-stage pharmaceutical or health technology companies looking to reach their next milestones.
Get personalized expert input from a global pharmaceutical company to help develop your novel scientific invention or technology.
Welcome to Merck Invention Accelerator.
Located in the heart of Edmonton’s innovation district, Merck Invention Accelerator was designed to help maximize the success of emerging health technologies.
What you get
- Scientific and business input from Merck Research Laboratory experts and mentorship from the TEC Health Accelerator program to help build, grow and scale your technology.
- If you are a successful applicant, you will receive mentorship from TEC Edmonton and from dedicated project champions at Merck. You will not give up equity or any commercial rights; however, we will expect you commit appropriate time and internal resources.
- Common office and research space at TEC Edmonton with direct access to all University of Alberta facilities.
- Each company accepted into the program will be eligible for funding to support the advancement of their technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Create collaborations between Merck and early-stage companies.
• Provide space, mentoring and financial support.
• Foster an innovation culture.
• Advance health-related technologies from Alberta, Canada, and beyond
- Access to TEC Edmonton and TEC Health Accelerator services, including business support, investor connections, competitive intelligence and local educational and networking events.
- Mentoring from Merck Research Labs scientists and business development leads, as appropriate.
- Connections to Merck Venture Capital and/or business development contacts, as appropriate.
- Office and lab space located at TEC Edmonton.
- Access to University of Alberta core facilities and equipment.
- Other external service providers as appropriate.
Accepted participants will be in the program for 12-month renewable increments.
Funding support is based on units of $25K and may include one or more units per participant. Funding units can be used for business services, location costs, facility access, travel and more.
- All scientific entrepreneurs with a healthcare innovation focus are eligible, with no limitations on company size or structure. However, the program is best suited to small enterprises or scientific researchers planning to bring their technology to patients or healthcare providers.
- There are no regional requirements for applicants, although preference is given to companies that will maintain a presence within the Edmonton-based incubator space.
- Preference is given to applicants that align with Merck’s current research and development goals (therapeutics, vaccines, companion diagnostics and digital health).
There are no regional requirements for applicants, although preference is given to companies that will maintain a presence within the Edmonton-based incubator space.
Applicants will be assessed in the following categories:
- Scientific excellence
- Technological impact
- Scientific merit
- Quality of the team
- Scientific experience
- Business expertise
- Growth potential
- Clinical need
- Overall potential
- Novelty of the technology/science
- Defined IP and regulatory pathways
- Financial state of the company
- Defined funding strategy
- Financial strength