Posted: July 30, 2020 | Closing Date: 28/08/2020
Overseen by the Edmonton Regional Innovation Network (ERIN) Post-Secondary Institution (PSI) Subcommittee, the PSI Entrepreneurship Community Manager will be the chief instigator of cohesion and collaboration around entrepreneurship among Edmonton post-secondary institutions (PSIs), to include the current ERIN participating PSIs which include the University of Alberta, Norquest College, NAIT, and Concordia University. Other PSIs are encouraged to join the ERIN. The position will also link the PSIs to other innovation-focused support programs and organizations within Edmonton’s innovation ecosystem and beyond.
In order for the ERIN to be successful with its mandate to increase the number of Edmonton-based startups, the degree of collaboration and cooperation between organizations, support systems, and programs that promote entrepreneurship and innovation within the Edmonton region must increase.
The PSI Entrepreneurship Community Manager will lead the charge and be in communication with the above PSIs, with the goal of facilitating synergies and promoting collaboration and efficiencies where possible. The individual will facilitate sharing of information and access to various infrastructures and resources that exist across the PSIs, for example prototyping facilities.
This is a part-time contract position with the successful candidate reporting to the Executive Vice President of Business Development at TEC Edmonton, a joint venture partnership between the University of Alberta and Edmonton Economic Development (EEDC).
Roles and responsibilities:
- Work with PSIs and the PSI mentors (part-time contractors funded via the ERIN program) to seek program and event synergies and to co-develop and co-deliver such programs/events across PSIs, where appropriate.
- Establish and administer the ERIN-funded business development services program for PSI entrepreneurs that supports costs associated with: market research, lean canvas or business plan creation, prototyping, and patent development as some examples. This involves:
- Developing processes and criteria for the intake and assessment of ventures, and making recommendations to the PSI Subcommittee for final approval of successful candidates.
- Identifying service providers in various industries and disciplines to work alongside entrepreneurs and their companies
- Addressing the different needs of companies in various industries with service providers
- Working in collaboration with ERIN PSI mentors to deliver this program
- Seek opportunities among the PSIs for sharing of resources (innovation/entrepreneurship activities, programs, events) and innovation infrastructures (e.g, prototyping, co-development of technology, machining, industry validation, etc) and promoting growth of the entire ecosystem
- Work closely with PSIs and innovation system organizations to connect students and faculty with the broader Edmonton innovation ecosystem
- In collaboration with the ERIN PSI mentors, communicate with PSIs to assess their needs and facilitate access to available services, mentors, and startup business activities
- Develop processes to track and report metrics
- Create, disseminate, and collect feedback surveys and provide strategic recommendations for program improvements
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- Experience working and presenting in-person and online with groups and individuals
- An entrepreneurial background and mindset of thinking outside of the box
- Isn’t afraid to strike a conversation with the CEO of a major company or a student
- Familiar with the startup and entrepreneurial ecosystem in the Edmonton region
- A strategic thinker and problem-solver able to work with a high level of autonomy
- Past or current experience starting and operating their own business
- A strong network of investors, entrepreneurs, and mentors
- Commitment to tracking results and taking notes from all activities and presenting findings to the ERIN PSI Subcommittee
If you believe you have the qualifications, please consider applying. You’ll have the opportunity to impact your local post-secondary institutions and business community in a measurable and meaningful way.
Seniority Level: Experienced technology business professional with experience promoting innovative product development, marketing, and commercialization.
Education: Minimum of bachelor’s degree, additional specialized degree an asset (e.g. MBA)
Industry: Management Consulting; Professional Training & Coaching
Employment Type: Contracted to TEC Edmonton (contractor status, not employee), part-time, onsite at various PSIs in the Edmonton region, virtually. The position will be a contract position for up to 20 months.
Job Functions: Consulting; general business
Reporting: Reporting directly to PSI management for day-to-day activities and to TEC Edmonton’s Executive Vice President of Business Development for metrics and support; activities will be reported to ERIN and Alberta Innovates.
Insurance: During the Term, the Contractor shall maintain at least the minimum insurance coverage specified by TEC Edmonton and shall provide to TEC satisfactory certificates of insurance confirming such coverage annually.
Funding: This position is funded by Alberta Innovates through the Edmonton Regional Innovation Network.